Type: Modular Gas Station and Retail Space
Client: AECOM/Shell Canada
Date of Completion: December 2019
Location: Calgary, AB
Size: 1,800 sq.ft.
Project Category: Retail & Commercial
Scope and Challenges:
In 2018, Shell Canada partnered with AECOM and came to Nomodic with an interest to modularize an existing retail space in Calgary, Alberta, which would act as a pilot project for future stores.
Shell and AECOM’s priorities were speed and safety, and developing a template that could be applied to open more stores coast to coast. Nomodic was chosen to lead the design and completion of this exciting pilot project.
Nomodic designed a two-module c-store with as little changes to the interior and exterior layout of the existing c-stores as possible. The finished store includes an open concept sales and retail area and large walk-in coolers among other features.
The end result:
- Built in 10 weeks (from start of fabrication to opening)
- Quicker time to revenue generation for Shell
- Installed in just 3 hours with less time onsite
- Significantly reduced disturbance to the community in busy transportation and retail corridor
- A design set up for repeatability: a good fit for modular across retail store types, and an optimal setup for a larger rollout and greater efficiencies